We are currently performing maintenance on Appian Community. As a result, discussions posts and replies are temporarily unavailable. We appreciate your patience.

Database User Schema

We are using an On Prem version of Appian.  We have 3 databases, 2 MS SQL Server instances and NEO4J. We need to get some of the data out of the 2 SQL Servers that are supporting Appian into NEO4J with an ETL process. One blocker we are running into is linking the User back to records. We have found the dbo.usr table that holds User information. But when we add LastModified columns on tables created via Appian, we are getting some type of hash type code that does not link back to the User table. 

How do we query one of these hashed user id values and link it back to the User table in order to bring the actual User info into our ETL process?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • To start, what/how are you saving into the LastModified columns that is generating a hash, vs a username?

• Currently we are saving the UUID from the Appian User Object. We see were we could change that to the User Name, for example: jsmith. But this still doesn't allow us to join the usr table for useful User info, for example in an ETL report we wanted to say this row was edited by John Smith.

• My few notes:

Logging user interaction with username instead of the UUID should allow for easier mapping - I really haven't worked with Appian's user UUID at all in my experience however.  Also, we typically use our own "UUID" as the employee ID in our HR systems, which allows consistency across both environments, and employee name changes. 

You could script a process to parse all user accounts, create a new table which contains username and UUID, plug in each field with the user account and user(ri!user,"uuid"), then you will have a mapping table.  

The primary data source "usr" table you are referencing does have a user_uuid column, but in all of my environments, it is completely empty.  I can't speak to it's designed use and likely would not receive much support on it being within the primary/Appian DS..

For similar reasons this is why we also maintain a DB table with user accounts and their metadata in our business data source, we update this daily as we refresh our user accounts - has been immensely helpful, such as for joining to via employee ID or account in reporting views.

• My few notes:

Logging user interaction with username instead of the UUID should allow for easier mapping - I really haven't worked with Appian's user UUID at all in my experience however.  Also, we typically use our own "UUID" as the employee ID in our HR systems, which allows consistency across both environments, and employee name changes. 

You could script a process to parse all user accounts, create a new table which contains username and UUID, plug in each field with the user account and user(ri!user,"uuid"), then you will have a mapping table.  

The primary data source "usr" table you are referencing does have a user_uuid column, but in all of my environments, it is completely empty.  I can't speak to it's designed use and likely would not receive much support on it being within the primary/Appian DS..

For similar reasons this is why we also maintain a DB table with user accounts and their metadata in our business data source, we update this daily as we refresh our user accounts - has been immensely helpful, such as for joining to via employee ID or account in reporting views.

Children
No Data