Record Type Not Showing Expected Data After DB Write

Certified Senior Developer

I am currently having an issue with one of my record types not appearing to sync correctly. We have a Process Model set up to schedule a set of tasks for users and write all of these details into a table to hold these scheduled task details. We also have two separate record types set up to display different task types. Both of the record types have source filters set for A) their task type number and B) anything scheduled for yesterday and today's date. The Process Model is set to run daily at a given time, and every time after, it appears as though one of the record types is out of sync. There will be extra items in the record type list, and one of the columns will contain a null value. However, if we go in and do a manual full sync, all of the data will display correctly immediately after that.

My question is about whether or not the date value in the source filter is messing up with the syncing of the data. The way the source fields are displayed, it has the text "Define which data from the source will be synced in Appian based on the specified conditions" with it, and this is making me think that since the old data is now outside of that date range, it's not correctly syncing it and removing it from the data set to view. Am I correct in thinking this, or is it possible there is some other issue going on here?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Is there a specific reason to write task data to the database? Appian already has all that data in a DB which can be queried using process reports.

Back to your question. Do you see any kind of sync errors in the record or in the log file?

in reply to Stefan Helzle

I apologize for any potential confusion. When I say "task data" I do not mean tasks such that Appian has created, I'm talking about client tasks that are from and for the end user to have. These are not tasks assigned in the way that a process model is creating a task. 

There are no errors in the record sync. That's the strange thing. It's almost as if the record sync isn't happening when the new data is written to the table via the Write to Data Store smart service. Either that, or our source filters are not correctly being applied. We are basically only trying to show tasks of that type and for todays current date, and thus we have two source filters on the data. Without doing a full sync, we see yesterday's tasks still in the grid when they shouldn't be.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to RyanB

Regarding "tasks", what is the reason for not using Appian processes and tasks? I ask this, because I see too many dev teams avoiding Appian built in functionality and reinvent the wheel.

Does the sync work without any source filters?

in reply to Stefan Helzle

"task" is just an item coming from the client. It's not actually something for them to do in Appian. We have what is basically a scheduling tool for managers that assigns time blocks to their employees. We're just storing all of the information related to the "task", and then the employees will use that data back in their own client system. So it's not actually something being *done* in Appian.

We can do a full sync just fine and the data will show correctly after that. I have a theory that, based on the text blurb at the top of the source filters page, it's possible that since the old dates no longer fall within the date range of today, they aren't being involved in a sync so they also are not being desynced? I'm not sure if that's something that can happen.