Local Variable (Query Rule) not get refresh on refreshVariable

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

we are trying to refresh local variable value on var change but it is not working. PFB Code

a!localVariables(
local!refreshOnVarChange: false,
local!allMessages: a!refreshVariable(
value: rule!DS_QRY_getMessageThread(
returnDatasubset: false,
filters: a!queryFilter(
field: "clientInboxId",
operator: "in",
value: {15,16}
)
),
refreshOnVarChange: local!refreshOnVarChange /*refreshAlways: true, even in this case data is also not get refresh*/
),
local!textBox,
a!sectionLayout(
contents: {
a!textField(
value: local!textBox,
saveInto: {
local!textBox,
a!save(local!refreshOnVarChange, not(local!refreshOnVarChange))
}
),
a!textField(
value: length(wherecontains(true,index(local!allMessages, "isRead", ""))),
readOnly: true
)
}
)
)

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Can you try adding refreshOnReferencedVarChange: false in your refreshVariable and check?

local!allMessages: a!refreshVariable(
      value: rule!DS_QRY_getMessageThread(
        returnDatasubset: false,
        filters: a!queryFilter(
          field: "clientInboxId",
          operator: "in",
          value: { 15, 16 }
        )
      ),
      refreshOnReferencedVarChange: false,
      refreshOnVarChange: local!refreshOnVarChange
    )

in reply to Rahul

Yes but doesn't work

• Is it possible you have a local variable defined inside of your rule DS_QRY_getMessageThread? If so, you likely also need to add a refresh variable within that rule and define refreshAlways: true.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Rahul
    try adding refreshOnReferencedVarChange: false 

The enclosed code snippet isn't referencing any other variables, so this will actually make no difference.

Certified Lead Developer

I agree with Peter's advice above - assuming the data being fetched is actually refreshing between your attempts to refresh it, what you have written here should basically work (though i'd use a different technique for your "local!refreshOnVarChange" variable).  Please post the code for the rule doing the query operation, as that could be preventing the refresh from occurring properly.

• Adding my experience here - as this is something I've been tempted to start a thread on as well. 

What I've seen is that if you have a refresh variable that calls a rule which contains a!queryEntity(), it will not refresh automatically.  Simply moving the query out of the rule and into the main refresh variable, resolves the issue.  However, then you have duplicated code if other areas of the application use the rule to query data also.

I haven't exhausted the different scenarios here yet, but I was noticing this last while creating a small message board type app.  The main interface makes a post with a!writeToDataStoreEntity(), I trigger the local variable to refresh by incrementing a reload counter used in refreshOnVarChange, and in no situation can I get it to refresh without pulling the query out of the rule and pasting it in the main refresh variable.  Then, it works flawlessly.

Would love to hear some other experiences on that as well..

• And I've been doing a little further testing this morning and was able to get this working with a!queryEntity() within a rule, in some situations, but mainly when a!localVariables() is not used.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris

Sounds like you might have some other stuff down inside your expression rule gumming up the automatic refresh.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris
    but mainly when a!localVariables() is not used

you need to remember two of the main default properties of the a!localVariables() behavior:

1) it does NOT act with "refresh always" behavior unless set manually (meaning it acts slightly more like legacy "load()" than "with()"...

2) it DOES default to a "refresh on referenced variable change" setting of TRUE - but this ONLY has any effect when a referenced variable is actually changed.

This all means if you're storing a!queryEntity results somewhere in the expression rule in an a!localVariables() variable, then it won't refresh unless you pass a token into the expression rule that acts as a "manually refresh" agent.  This is easyish to do since you can just pass in an integer value like "ri!refreshCounter" etc.

• As I noted, I hadn't exhausted my research on this exact functionality yet Upside down

It seemed odd to me that when I told the parent interface's refresh variable to 'refresh' and basically 'go get the latest value from the rule', it would not do so.  In further testing, I confirmed we can make it refresh but this involves sending the reload counter (for refreshOnVarChange) down to the child rule also, meaning we have to modify a shared query rule with a new input just to allow it to refresh properly for this interface.

So, basically what we have here is a layer of local variables, where the parent layer won't force the child layer to refresh automatically unless the same manual refresh conditions are passed down to the child.

I will submit that this isn't exactly intuitive, this requires additional coding in any query rule which may be used under refresh conditions.  Where I just want to tell the parent interface, 'go get me the latest value from the rule no matter what'.