Need to update a table with millions of rows present.

Certified Associate Developer

Hello Community,

I need to upgrade a table where there are more than 1 million rows available, I want to know can this operation be performed at Appian end, I am thinking of retrieving the data in batches of 5000, that batch needs to go through encryption/decryption function. Since this processing needs to be done at Appian end, so cant use Stored Procedures for this. Will Appian be able to handle such load ?

Any suggestions will be helpful ?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • There are a couple of factors to determine it. 

1. Is this a one-time operation?
    2. If this is not a one-time operation and repetitive instead, then will the data increase over time?
    3. What is the size of each row?
    4. Any specific reason for doing it via Appian and not an SP on the database instead? 

Doing it via SP will anyway be faster and more promising considering you have a huge data and you need to perform the update operation. 

in reply to Harshit Bumb (Appyzie)

Hello Harshit,
    Thanks for quick reply, I will try to elaborate: 

1. Planning to create it as a utility, so it can be reused in future.
    2. Yes data will increase overtime.
    3. Probably 4-5 columns will be queried as one row.
    4. we need to apply new appian encrytion on these queried data, and need to store it back again, I am not sure whether encrypting the data can be done through Stored Procedure.

in reply to Harshit Bumb (Appyzie)

Hello Harshit,
    Thanks for quick reply, I will try to elaborate: 

1. Planning to create it as a utility, so it can be reused in future.
    2. Yes data will increase overtime.
    3. Probably 4-5 columns will be queried as one row.
    4. we need to apply new appian encrytion on these queried data, and need to store it back again, I am not sure whether encrypting the data can be done through Stored Procedure.

Children