Export data from related tables to CSV

Certified Senior Developer

Following normal database best practices we typically store id fields in our main data tables and then link those id fields to reference data tables when we want to display the reference data values (e.g. status values such as 'Received', 'In Progress', 'Pended', 'Abandoned', 'Completed', etc.). With the new record and relationship functionality it is easy to display the textual status values rather than the id value on the record list and record summary. But, if we need to export the data, including the textual values, to a CSV file for ingestion by an MI tool we can't currently export from a record to a csv file programmatically (our export for MI would typically be a scheduled process running once a day, outside of standard business hours). We could create a database view to pull together the data and structure it for the MI extract but the documentation for the Export Data Store Entity to CSV smart service states 'Because database views do not have a primary key, or the ability to have indexes, Appian recommends exporting data only from tables or materialized views in order to avoid query timeouts with large data sets'.

I am currently considering creating an MI table and using stored procedures to populate that table from the main data tables and reference data tables (or perhaps from a view) so that I can then use the OOTB Export Data Store Entity to CSV smart service.

Does that sound like a sensible solution? Are they better alternatives that I have missed?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
No Data