How to return true value for null list of records

Certified Senior Developer

I just want to understand why list of records(0 items) is not returning null/true in below scenarios.

I have problem returning the List of Empty Records to be empty/null.

Any thoughts??

We always practiced using null vs 0 vs "" vs {} depending on the type of data. However here {} for set of array records is not working to identify as null. Of course same behavior with CDT's as well.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

The primitive isnull() function is a bit finnicky with respect to what it considers "null" - in Appian, arrays are a totally different data type from single values, and an empty array has never technically counted as null according to isnull().  In older days we were encouraged to set up a separate expression rule like "rule!apn_isBlank()" which would do a more robust test for null / blank / empty, returning a more intiutive return when fed (for example) an empty list of query result, or other sorts of potentially-empty values.  These days however, we have a!isNullOrEmpty() which accomplishes at least (i'll estimate) 80 - 90% of the corner-case handling that we formerly needed to use a specialty expression rule for (there remains a particular corner case, which I don't remember off the top of my head).

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Thank you Mike, 

I tried this to fix my problem and worked!!

= or(
    ri!singlePV = "",
    isnull(ri!singlePV),
    a!isNullOrEmpty(ri!singlePV)
    )

Reply Children
No Data