Export To Excel - Best Practice

Hello All,

I wanted to know what the best way is to export the data to excel.

We know the records the best way to do it but due to some reasons we cannot use records as we have multiple departments and for each, we don't want to create Records.

Coming to OOTB smart service provided by Appian (Export DSE to Excel) - it doesn't allow us to do any customization on the data from db.

So,, for that we have written a view, but it takes considerable amt of time since we need to show multiple Display values instead of codes. So, joining with the reference table for each category is also slowing down the performance. (We are using MySQL)

We are trying best to improve the performance but seems, there might some changes come future which may slow down the performance. 

So trying to find the best way to handle it right now. 

Do we have any integrations specially for excel? Or if anyone has worked on specific requirement, we where we need to fetch data from Mutiple tables and also join the reference table for each category to get the display value. Please do share any info you have.

Thanks in advance!!!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Did you already do the usual per performance optimisation steps for database views? Indexing, foreign keys etc?

Could you run a stored procedure to fill a table with the data you need and then export that directly?

• Agree with Stefan I would first look at database tuning such as adding Indexes, etc.  This is how most of my exports work as well, being over views with joins and it works well for me (we use a MSSQL DB).

How much data are you exporting and how poor is the performance?  In my experience, exporting is something that users have more patience with as far as performance than say, delays in refreshing on screen components after entering data.