best practice to store reference data as constant

Data in reference tables can differ across environments, which directly leads to have different primary key values of same reference data in the tables across environments. But, knowing this fact, still some Appian applications use primary keys of reference data as constant, for example primary keys of workflow statuses are referenced using constants rather than their text value. If while deploying or during data migration, primary key changes, then code written using those constant references may break.

What is the best approach to code for above use case?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I am a huge fan of storing such values in constants. My approach is:

- Each value is one constant

- To get a list of these, I create an expression returning a list of the constants in the desired order

I never had any issues with this approach. But, as soon as you need to allow the user to adjust values, like country codes or other semi-static things, a reference table in the DB can be the right solution.

Certified Lead Developer

I am a huge fan of storing such values in constants. My approach is:

- Each value is one constant

- To get a list of these, I create an expression returning a list of the constants in the desired order

I never had any issues with this approach. But, as soon as you need to allow the user to adjust values, like country codes or other semi-static things, a reference table in the DB can be the right solution.

Children