Hide record type from Records but still show its records elsewhere

How can I remove a RECORD TYPE from being viewed from the RECORDS TAB. But still allow records of that type to be viewed from another record. For example, I have a FRUIT (parent) record and APPLES (child) records. I only want users to see the FRUIT RECORD TYPE in the RECORDS TAB, but not see the APPLES record type in the RECORDS TAB. To view APPLE records, user can view the FRUIT record which will display all APPLE records. Thanks.

OriginalPostID-154480

OriginalPostID-154480

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• amjedr Hi, to answer your question keeping the OOTB functionality in mind, AFAIK this isn't possible because a record type can be viewed even with a role (say 'Viewer') having least security privileges and at the same time, keeping a user/ group away from the security rolemap of the Record Type won't let the user to access the Record Type/ Record. This parent/ child relationship MIGHT be accomplished up-to some/ complete extent if we opt for a work around (Infact I remember we did a similar implementation on 7.3 records in our internal projects), but to the best of my knowledge, opting for a work around might compromise some of the powerful OOTB functionalities of the record type/ record. I might be wrong, but I thought it would be worth sharing my experience as well as knowledge. Let's see if other Appian practitioners comes up with a solution.
  • Not sure, what exactly you are looking. But, I would create main record type i.e. FRUITS using Record type designer. And all the instances of FRUITS will be shown as a record list i.e. APPLES in this case. You can further provide user filters to search different types of FRUIT on record list. Hope this makes sense.
  • 1. You can create record for the "FRUIT" but not creating the "APPLE" RECORD. 2. In the record dashboard of "FRUIT" using report to list all APPLE records of this "FRUIT". 3. In the report listing the APPLE, you can add link field to allow user to click on to show the detail information of the APPLE at the bottom.