Dynamic display of Record Names

Certified Lead Developer
is it possible to change the name of a Record on some condition.

My requirement is that I need to show same data for different users with Different Record names
Ex. For User 1 the Record name is Record 1 and for another User 2 the Record name should be Record 2 but the data and contents should be same.

Thanks

OriginalPostID-240330

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• I don't think so it is possible as record types are listed on Tempo Records tab and record type accepts design time static name
  • if user 1 and user 2 are separated with different group security I think you can do with creating 2 records but showing them with record 1 and record 2 respectively restricting them with the viewer groups.
  • However you may set dynamic value for Record Title, when user clicks on record link to view its details
    Certified Lead Developer
    @harshav I do not want to have two separate Records. Anyways Thanks
  • @arpitb To the best of my knowledge, it should be possible but the answer really depends on how you would like to associate the record name with the user(i.e. would you like to drive it from the database or drive within the scope of Appian) and your existing implementation(Source of Record Type and Database design).

If the source of Record Type is Entity Backed, you may be do something similar to the example at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/16.2/Record_Level_Security_for_Entity_Backed_Records_Best_Practice.html. In this example we tie the Record to a User whereas in your scenario we will additionally tie the record name to the User.

If the name is something that can't be formed within DB and you are only able to frame it in the context of Appian, opt for Service-Backed Records(if you are making use of Process Backed or Entity Backed, you can switch to Expression Backed and documentation at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/7.8/Records_Tutorial.html#Create_Service-Backed_Records should be a good starting point) and update the record name in/or add the record name to the resultant dataset based on the loggedInUser() and then feed the Record Type with results.

Keeping the possibility aside, I would suggest giving thoughts over the validity of the requirement. Wouldn't it be simple if you hold a reference which will be the same to all and always shown as name/title and then show an additional name/title on the dashboards or reports based on the logged in user?

I believe that even the above-mentioned solution may not be 100% clean. For instance when a news post is made by tagging a record from this kind of Record Type, what would be the name that appears on Record Tag or a Record Card?