#RecordListView-SearchBox

Hi All,

In Record list view there is search box.

what is the search criteria for this?

will it search all data which are displaying in List view? 

can we customize this search box?

Thanks in advanced.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• +2
    Certified Lead Developer
    In Appian 16.3 and earlier, my experience has been the following: The search box in the record list view will query on any record fields in the title of a record (i.e. the blue link text).

For example, your title could be built like the following: "Case: " & rf!caseId & " - " & rf!caseName
    You could have the following records:
    Case: 00204 - Merchant Payment Issue
    Case: 00205 - Sales Cost Increase

You could search using either the caseId or the caseName, but if you were to type "00204 - Merchant Payment Issue" or "Case", it would not find any results. It seems like the system will search each individual record field in the title for the entire search text. In both of our search example, no single record field contains the full string, so no results are returned.

I don't believe that this is customize-able, however you could build a report that has all the customized search features you need.

It looks like in 17.1 the search functionality has been improved, but I'm not sure what exactly it's searching on.
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to Conor Cahill

I agree with what Conor has said. To add to that, in my experience it searches for every field that is displayed on the Record List View and not just the title with the record link.

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    This depends whether you're using the grid or feed layout for the record.

If you're using the feed type view, @conorc is pretty much there - essentially any field used in the title is searchable. However, it's worth knowing that there's a useful - if technically unsupported - trick here, in that any field used in the title expression is searchable even if it's not actually displayed. Bearing this in mind, you can use the concatenate function to reference multiple fields, but concatenate them conditionally. For example:

fn!concat(
    "Case: ",
    rf!caseId,
    " - ",
    rf!caseName,
    if(
    true,
    "",
    fn!concat(
    rf!caseDescription,
    rf!caseInitiator
    )
    )
    )

The above will display caseId and caseName, but make the other two fields searchable.

If you're using the grid layout, any field you map to a column is searchable - though this doesnt apply for values you retrieve using rules; only rf! fields are searchable. If there are fields you wish to search but not display, there is an option to hide a field - if it's hidden, it isn't shown but it is still searchable.
  • can we write any customize rule inside the fn!concat like groupbyname("ABC') and it will return all record who is having ABC group name and also if we configure date and time field, will it filter the record?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to vikrams290
    No, only rf! fields can be used to filter. We usually build a view for the record as there's often a lot of other information that is useful to display or filter with, and having it all in the one cdt makes that a lot easier.
  • You may also opt for Expression Backed Records in which you lets you write an expression rule that search a data store entity(which could be map to a view or a table) and return selected fields, with whatever input you give in the search box. I believe this would be quiet convenient and flexible.