Best approach to store tailored/editable list?

Certified Senior Developer

Hi all.

I have a possibly simple question with a possibly simple solution. 

Ultimately what I would like is a field to store 'Training' for a record. Within the form, dependent on form inputs, only specific training will be visible for the user to select.

I have made a mock up of the interface below.

Dependent on what is input from the radio button, and the following dynamic drop down boxes, depends on which check boxes of training will appear, and then stored in the training field. Example below:

I understand this is easily done within the interface itself using expression rules, and storing the field as a string maybe. However I aim to have a rather dynamic and stable approach to the form, where by adding and removing training doesn't involve editing code and it is easy to update the training field in the record using the same input validation.

A mock up of my solution is below:

This table will store the predetermined values and labels, and an expression rule with a query filter will call the values/labels needed to be displayed in the Training list. You can see relating to the example above, where Type: RET, Level: 1, Crit 1: Y and Crit 2: N is selected, only 'General' and 'Restricted' is visible.

I so far have this solution all function and working. However, as you can see there is a substantial amount of repeated data in this table. This will likely become a lot larger, as for every crit/column that needs to be added, the table will grow massively. Along with this, there will be a large amount of 'types' and 'levels' added, making a large table filled with even more repeated data.

I guess what I'm asking is overall is there a better way to achieve this? Possibly a better way to structure the table to return the same results?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
No Data