Appian with Tomcat and PostgreSQL

Hi guys,

I would like to ask if someone has experience with installing Appian using Tomcat app server and PostgreSQL database. Do you think it is even possible or not?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    as per my understanding, you cannot use Appian with Tomcat Server, because If you're in a large enterprise environment then you need to go for JBoss or some other pure Java EE Application Server. Tomcat most fits for pure web centric application (.war file).

In terms of containers, Jboss do have more containers compared to Tomcat like Catalina, Jasper, EJB container and many more.

As per my experience, tomcat fits for small scale applications as well for the quick debugging, where number of requests will be less compared to large scale application, as we know that Appian internally uses Java, and as per Java EE documentation, for each request one Thread object will be created, so if the number of request are more then huge amount of Thread objects will be created, so the server must be capable to server those many requests at a time. So we need a pure Java EE Application server with Load Balancing.

So as a conclusion, you cannot use Appian with Tomcat Server.
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to aloks0189
    thank you for your response. I know about recommended systems but i was only curious if someone has experience with others.

thanks and what do you think about Postgre?
Reply Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to erikm192
    as per Appian 17.1 System requirement documentation, you cannot use PostgreSQL with Appian. But however if you want to communicate (read/write) to any databases, you can build your custom plugins, but still you cannot say that, the following DB (PostgreSQL) working with Appian as Primary as well as Secondary DB.

Generally Appian suggests only those into their recommended system list, which is purely supported and well Tested by them.

Yes, we know that PostgreSQL is one of the very popular DB used by the developer now a days, so we can expect Appian may consider PostgreSQL adding onto their support and in upcoming versions of Appian they may extend their support to multiple Databases which may include PostgreSQL as well, but again cannot be sure about that.

So as a conclusion, at this point of time, you cannot use Appian with PostgreSQL DB
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to aloks0189
    Thank you again, your answers are really helpful.