We are currently performing maintenance on Appian Community. As a result, discussions posts and replies are temporarily unavailable. We appreciate your patience.

Are there any plans to provide some sort of debugging tools for Appian expressio

Are there any plans to provide some sort of debugging tools for Appian expressions? I am spending days debugging each expression for a report. It would be great if I could see, step by step, how the expression worked. It would also be great to see where a parenthesis or comma is missing, rather than a general statement about it....

OriginalPostID-77423

OriginalPostID-77423

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I'm already using both. The expression rule interface only confirms that the right number of parts are used for a function and that the parenthesis match. The text editor allows me to match up the parenthesis, but obviously has no idea if the expression is actually valid. I also create temporary columns in a report to test specific parts of an expression, but there are too many cases where an expression part won't work on its own, forcing me to debug the whole thing.

The ability to actually run an expression step by step would be a huge help--and something that most modern programming packages have.
  • I'm already using both. The expression rule interface only confirms that the right number of parts are used for a function and that the parenthesis match. The text editor allows me to match up the parenthesis, but obviously has no idea if the expression is actually valid. I also create temporary columns in a report to test specific parts of an expression, but there are too many cases where an expression part won't work on its own, forcing me to debug the whole thing.

The ability to actually run an expression step by step would be a huge help--and something that most modern programming packages have.
Children
No Data