Anonymous User support in 16.2 and newer

The Appian 16.2 documentation indicates that Anonymous User is deprecated, however the 17.2 version does not state this. We plan on using this feature to start a process model via email message. Is this feature deprecated or will it continue to be supported by Appian? 

16.2 documentation https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/16.2/Anonymous_User.html

"The conf.suite.ANONYMOUS_ACCESS property is deprecated. It is to be renamed or removed in a future release."

17.2 documentation: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/17.2/Anonymous_User.html 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • My point is that the documentation is inconsistent. 16.2 states that it's deprecated. 17.2 does not mention that at all. So will it be deprecated or not? Will there be a replacement? I hope someone from Appian can give an official answer on this.

Also, I do not believe it is good practice to use deprecated functionality. Once it is removed, then we will need to again redesign the feature.
  • I agree with the second point: try not to rely on something that you know will be removed. Regarding the first point, I'm pretty sure Appian has been very consistent on how they communicate deprecations: they announce that feature X is deprecated as of this release. The release notes act as a change log, meaning that everything else remains the same unless otherwise noted. It would be similar to announcing with every release that there are Sites: they don't document it in the release notes every time, but we know the functionality is there because they announced in the 7.9 release notes.
  • Carlos, while I agree that it does not make sense to announce the deprecation in the release notes for every version of Appian, that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to the documentation page for the Anonymous User feature (see the links in my original post). As a designer, if I am using Appian 17.2, I will be referring to the 17.2 version of the documentation, which does not mention that the feature is deprecated. How would I know not to use that feature? Even if I check the feature page for 17.1 or 16.3, I would not know that it is deprecated, which is why I am asking Appian to confirm.
  • Carlos, while I agree that it does not make sense to announce the deprecation in the release notes for every version of Appian, that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to the documentation page for the Anonymous User feature (see the links in my original post). As a designer, if I am using Appian 17.2, I will be referring to the 17.2 version of the documentation, which does not mention that the feature is deprecated. How would I know not to use that feature? Even if I check the feature page for 17.1 or 16.3, I would not know that it is deprecated, which is why I am asking Appian to confirm.
Children
No Data