Extract data from string

I'm trying to extract a sub-string from a string:

For example I have this bigger string: something""incoming",nothing",""put"left""try

Testing with the function extract() from https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/17.2/fnc_text_extract.html

I get always an error when I want to extract : nothing

extract( "something""incoming",nothing",""put"left""try", "ing""", ""," )

Type:Error Value:Expression evaluation error : Unmatched quote (")

or

Type: Error
Value: Expression evaluation error at function 'extract' parameter 6: Invalid symbol found (close_paren)

Any ideas how to capture the word or skip the quotes when parsing?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi catalinp,

If you want to extract all text from the incoming string( As i understood your requirement - you want all text to be extracted omitting all other characters that is commas or quotes or double quotes) you can you below code to do that. This will return an array or texts.

But for this to work you will nee Appian Regular Expression plugin installed in your environment.

ri!string1 = something""incoming",nothing",""put"left""try

then ->

regexallmatches("[A-z]+",ri!string1) -> this will return an out put like below

Type List of Text String
    6 items
    Value something; incoming; nothing; put; left; try

Regards
    Suresh
  • Hi catalinp,

If you want to extract all text from the incoming string( As i understood your requirement - you want all text to be extracted omitting all other characters that is commas or quotes or double quotes) you can you below code to do that. This will return an array or texts.

But for this to work you will nee Appian Regular Expression plugin installed in your environment.

ri!string1 = something""incoming",nothing",""put"left""try

then ->

regexallmatches("[A-z]+",ri!string1) -> this will return an out put like below

Type List of Text String
    6 items
    Value something; incoming; nothing; put; left; try

Regards
    Suresh
Children
No Data