keyword search ?

hi all,

I'm experimenting with the document controls within Appian at the moment, and just wondered about if it's possible to add some sort of keywords functionality ?

My idea being that when I add a document, I can add a number of key words, which would be searchable later, and that when I add further documents if I add a keyword that exists it will auto populate. Basically the same sort of thing you see when raising questions on Stack and Similar sites ;).

I'm thinking the only way to do this would be some sort of multi select drop down box with the ability to add new entries ?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I don't think there is any out of the box method for achieving what you described. However, if you are trying to search and add keywords from the front-end, you could use the database to store your document IDs and related keywords. For example (sudocode):

CREATE TABLE KEYWORD(
    KEYWORD_ID_PK int primary key,
    KEYWORD nvarchar(255)
    )

CREATE TABLE DOCUMENT_KEYWORD(
    DOCUMENT_KEYWORD_ID_PK int primary key,
    DOCUMENT_ID int,
    KEYWORD_ID_PK foreign key ref KEYWORD (KEYWORD_ID_PK)
    )

You have set up your DB to hold the relationship between document and keyword. Now, from within a SAIL form, you can allow a user to upload a document and use an editable grid to add a variable number of keywords (docs.appian.com/.../Editable_Grid_Component.html).

Within your grid component, you could use a custom picker (docs.appian.com/.../Custom_Picker_Component.html) to search your KEYWORD table for available tags. If the tag isn't available, the user could click a checkbox or a link to open a new section where they could add new keywords.

Lastly, searching. You'll likely want to create a view that joins the KEYWORD and DOCUMENT_KEYWORD tables, and then use a custom picker to search the keywords and serve up the document IDs for matching rows.

Please let me know if this solves your issue or if you need further guidance on implementation.

Regards,
    Jacob
  • I don't think there is any out of the box method for achieving what you described. However, if you are trying to search and add keywords from the front-end, you could use the database to store your document IDs and related keywords. For example (sudocode):

CREATE TABLE KEYWORD(
    KEYWORD_ID_PK int primary key,
    KEYWORD nvarchar(255)
    )

CREATE TABLE DOCUMENT_KEYWORD(
    DOCUMENT_KEYWORD_ID_PK int primary key,
    DOCUMENT_ID int,
    KEYWORD_ID_PK foreign key ref KEYWORD (KEYWORD_ID_PK)
    )

You have set up your DB to hold the relationship between document and keyword. Now, from within a SAIL form, you can allow a user to upload a document and use an editable grid to add a variable number of keywords (docs.appian.com/.../Editable_Grid_Component.html).

Within your grid component, you could use a custom picker (docs.appian.com/.../Custom_Picker_Component.html) to search your KEYWORD table for available tags. If the tag isn't available, the user could click a checkbox or a link to open a new section where they could add new keywords.

Lastly, searching. You'll likely want to create a view that joins the KEYWORD and DOCUMENT_KEYWORD tables, and then use a custom picker to search the keywords and serve up the document IDs for matching rows.

Please let me know if this solves your issue or if you need further guidance on implementation.

Regards,
    Jacob
Children
No Data