toInteger() parameters

Hello!

I'm very surprised when I put toInteger("ab7cde?z2n7k") and got 727 as a result. From my point of view it is not an integer at all.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • I need to have some calculations based on digits of input string. In my case toInteger("a") returns null where as toInteger("a1b") returns 1 which is nonsense as "a1a" is not an integer. In the documentation we have "Values passed must remain within the limits of the Integer data type." which is not true. This "must" is not validated within the implementation and I cannot not rely on this.
  • Can you handle this up front by validating that the input string contains a valid number, or by stripping non-numerical characters in the form field?
  • I solved the case by cleanwith(). But the issue still exists. toInteger() function allows incorrect input which is terrible.

• Yea, Appian implements a toInteger() in a very similar way to JavaScript, where all non-integer characters are stripped, and the remaining are used to create the integer. www.w3schools.com/.../jsref_parseint.asp

It's important to note here, that Appian's toInteger() does not convert strings that representation of numbers in a different base (such as hexadecimal). "0x10" will convert to 10 (010, drop the leading 0), and not 16 (which is decimal representation of hexadecimal number 10).

As you must ensure the input from your users is indeed a integer number, I agree, you cannot rely on toInteger, or an integerField. I would recommend using a textField to gather the end user input, and placing a validation to ensure they input an integer. A very quick thought would be to compare the length of the input string, with the length of the toString(toInteger( input string) ). If they are the same, you know the user entered a valid integer. See below code snippet as a quick example for this comparison.

load(
    local!data: "m2",
    len(
    toInteger(
    local!data
    )
    ) = len(
    tostring(
    local!data
    )
    )
    )

Since toInteger strips the 'm' from our data, the lengths will not be the same. Representing that local!data was not composed of only integers. This will return false if the data is a decimal and not an integer.  (Wanted to expand a bit on my previous comment)

• JavaScript returns NaN if the string starts with not digit character, "a1", for example. Appian therefore is even more relaxed than JavaScript.