Why Appian allows name duplicacy in Process Model

I am working on Appian 17.3 and I am aware that Appian does not allow users to create duplicate name Expression rules, interfaces , constants etc.

But why Appian allows  same name (Name duplicacy) for more than 1 Process Models.

• If we have more than 1 Process models having same name, it will cause inconsistency and complexity for developers while adding Existing Process Models in Applications.

I have created 2 Process Models having same name and Appian is allowing me to do it.

Any Suggestions Appreciated

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    Hi @Prateek adding to above participants comments, also process model name doesn't adds any values to the developer, but yes this adds the value to the end user , specially when you want to expose these processes as Related Action.

Also, an another use case: let's say you want to trigger a process asynchronously in the context of process model instead of API or interface, you need to go for UUID but not process model name, because internally Appian always delas with UUID instead of name.

I understand that when you have multiple objects with the same name, it's difficult to identify, however still you can identify your process based on its folder hierarchy which will be shown when it's getting populate in picker, let's say while creating a constant of type process model.

Hence I don't think, if we don't have process model unique name, will make any difference to the end-user.

Hope this will help you.
  • Interesting topic. I have encountered this use case as well. We needed to have multiple process models with the same name to expose to users as related actions. It does make identifying the correct process model trickier when adding it to an application.
Reply Children
No Data