What's the best way to import data from an external database in to the Appian database?

I have a relatively east concept idea that a business user wants to do.

They want to take their data in their SQL database and put it on Appian as a dashboard to be viewed by users.

What's the easiest way to do this?

I essentially want to query their database for all of the rows and assign them to a CDT and save them in the appian Database. Then, I can put this data in an interface grid for them to view.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Ideally you would create a new Data Source in the admin console in order to connect Appian to the database in question, then query the data directly so you have the most up-to-date information. If round trip times from that database are too high and the data doesn't change often within a day's time, you could consider creating a nightly sync process that would query the data directly from the external database and copy it into Appian's database.

If adding it as a Data Source in Appian is not an option, you could try exporting the data in the database into a format that can be read programatically, such as Excel, and then use that to upload the values to Appian. There is an Excel Tools plug-in that can help with importing data from Excel into Appian.
  • thanks, I think I might do excel to start. My company policy doesn't allow direct connection to Database from appian, i think thats why it wasnt working for me. I might eventually do a webservice, i suppose.
Reply Children
No Data