Is SonarQube Compatible with Appian

Hi All,

Has anyone came across integrating sonarQube with Appian. or Is it compatible with Appian.

TIA :)

Harsha

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Tell me if I'm wrong but I think what you're trying to achieve is a method of conducting quality assurance reviews on delivered Appian objects. Such reviews will cover what I like to call 'Design-time' risks e.g. are the objects named correctly according to the standard set for that Application; and 'Run-time' risks e.g. is the Data Management setting on a  process model set according to the policy defined in the standards for that Application. There are many such 'standards' and some will be common across Applications, and some will be specific to an Application. There are also poor design patterns e.g. calling a Query Entity within a forEach() loop. Typically a project will set out all of these standards in a 'Peer Review checklist' document, and the developers will check each others implementations against this list. 

I am assuming that the real question behind your question is: is there a tool we can use to automate these sorts of quality assurance checks? The answer right now is, no, nothing out of the box. The specific answer to your question is that Sonarqube does not support 'Appian' as a language.

Ideally what is required is a tool that you can configure the 'rules' of what is good/not good within a specific Appian Application, and an engine that can run those rules over your Appian objects and report on them. The tool should also be extensible so that you can manage the rules - adding new ones, switching off existing ones, and flexing up and down your appetite for risk (since it is all about risk in the end).

I am working on such a tool right now and hope to have this on the AppMarket by the end of this year.

• Tell me if I'm wrong but I think what you're trying to achieve is a method of conducting quality assurance reviews on delivered Appian objects. Such reviews will cover what I like to call 'Design-time' risks e.g. are the objects named correctly according to the standard set for that Application; and 'Run-time' risks e.g. is the Data Management setting on a  process model set according to the policy defined in the standards for that Application. There are many such 'standards' and some will be common across Applications, and some will be specific to an Application. There are also poor design patterns e.g. calling a Query Entity within a forEach() loop. Typically a project will set out all of these standards in a 'Peer Review checklist' document, and the developers will check each others implementations against this list. 

I am assuming that the real question behind your question is: is there a tool we can use to automate these sorts of quality assurance checks? The answer right now is, no, nothing out of the box. The specific answer to your question is that Sonarqube does not support 'Appian' as a language.

Ideally what is required is a tool that you can configure the 'rules' of what is good/not good within a specific Appian Application, and an engine that can run those rules over your Appian objects and report on them. The tool should also be extensible so that you can manage the rules - adding new ones, switching off existing ones, and flexing up and down your appetite for risk (since it is all about risk in the end).

I am working on such a tool right now and hope to have this on the AppMarket by the end of this year.

Children
No Data