What is difference between Start Process Smart Service and Subprocess?

When to use subprocess and when to Start Process smart service?

I have a question that if we can start a process asynchronously using sub process then why there is a need of start process smart service ? 

As start process smart service starts a process asynchronously which can be achieved by sub process also

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks Shiva
    I have already read the documentation. I have a question that if we can start a process asynchronously using sub process then why there is a need of start process smart service ?

As start process smart service starts a process asynchronously which can be achieved by sub process also
  • Hi Dipti ,

While Using Start process smart service you can parametrise the inputs i.e. You can start any process model . But in Sub process you have to define it.

Also other important thing to consider is that sub process node starts the process in same engine as the parent process . so if this is called in MNI or loop a specific engine will load up which is a bad design . Start Process Smart service does that engine balancing efficiently .

Regards,
    Thoufiq.
  • Hi diptis,

The Start Process smart service is available as an expression function that can be executed inside a saveInto on a Interface Component or as part of a Web API.

So if you want to trigger a process model on click of a button or on an action performed on an Interface Component, subprocess wont help.

If you want to trigger a process model in a different Appian instance, you cannot use subprocess. Instead you have to use call a Web API which is in the target environment and in that Web API you need to trigger the process model using a!startProcess().

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
    Sidhant Behura