why should we use utility user with system administrator right

when we import an application

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Mayank,

This is one of the Best practices of Appian, followed by all projects while importing.

Please read the below link and post for more details:
    community.appian.com/.../importing-an-application
    docs.appian.com/.../Application_Deployment_Guidelines.html

Thanks
  • There are multiple reasons the main is that it is a best practice And let me tell you that best practices always have a good reason to exists on any system. Let me share some things regarding this one.

One of the reasons why and you can try it is, create a process set a smart service assignment “run as whoever designed this” (maybe write to DB), publish it with a user. Then disable it. If you want try now to publish it as another user enabled.

Try to do a process with a timer publish the process run it once let it run, then disable the user publish the process with other user.

The result is the process models will fail telling you “the user doesn’t have enough rights to execute” or to start a process. At the end the people can leave the company and you will have to disable their users that will cause you some errors on the processes. It is something you can struggle with and it is not impossible to fix, but in prod do you really want to deal with it ? I don’t think so.

Hope this gives you

Jose
  • Hi,

In case we import an application using an individual user account and if that account got deactivated for any reason, the imported application will remain unusable.

So, It is always a best practice to import applications using System administrator accounts. Because we never deactivate system admin accounts.