Tasks vs Records and related action

I want to generally ask the community on advantages and disadvantages of the 2 approaches below:

1. A long running process and user task in it waiting for user action

2. A record and related action which is displayed as a report (task report)  for user to act on

My take:

1. There are no long running process in second point so less memory usage, and easy deployments where no in flight process updates are necessary

2. In first point we are using Appians task management framework which I think one can mostly replicate with some extra effort on 2nd step, like group assignment, escalation, etc.

3. In 2nd point, it's easier to manage the data to be displayed..

What am I missing?

:)

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Harishn,

Generally Task though Action tab is for getting data for the first time like registration process, where record - related action is more about manipulating gathered data (One we gathered from Action Tab). This is simple difference between Action - Task and Related Actions.

Coming to your question, 2nd point is more suitable if you already have data and want to manipulate it. I am not sure how you going to generate task report from related action , if you thinking to terminate process after generating task and storing all task related info in DB than disadvantage of 2nd point is, complicate DB maintenance, extra DB call/connection to retrieve data.

It purely depend on requirement to which way option to choose.

Regards,
    Simple
  • Think of your record as a wrapper for other processes and tasks within that process if you wish. Having a record allows you to be far more flexible in your approach to designing the process.

However, look at how other processes may be designed in your organisation. For example, a record may not be suitable for a process that may only be active for 5 minutes!

Records tend to be more suitable for case management style processes where ad-hoc work and unstructured processes may be built on over time. Records can also be suitable where you are considering viewing groups of processes for a customer for example. You may also find it easier to "plug in" common frameworks like you have said.

Hope this helps!

Dai
  • Thank you for the reply to both of you. My use case is more around case management for which the 2nd approach seems more suitable within Appian.