How can we generate unique Id without making any DB calls i.e directly from SAIL form

Certified Associate Developer

Hi ,

I have a scenario, where I have 2 buttons on my form: Add and Submit.

1) A user has to add details(say for example employee details) before submitting the form.

2)Use can add more than 1 employee details. Once these details are added they are displayed in a new grid in the same form.

3) Once the user clicks on Add button , the details get displayed in new grid, but at the same time I need to generate unique Id for each new addition. 

I will remain on the same form until and unless I submit it. Before submitting the form I need t generate unique Ids(say employee Id).

How this can be done from SAIL side. I do not want DB calls, as this might impact the performance?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hello Diptis,

I would suggests you to handle by doing DB calls.
    It will avoid you having constraint issues if two or more people work at the same time with the form as i believe there is no way to maintain the track on the IDS generated in the UI.

If you still want to follow this approach what i think you can do is:
    1.- Create a constant which will keep track on the IDS.
    2.- Use the constant and +1 for each element you need.
    3.- While you click submit you need to update the constant in the process model to the last number you used.

If more than 2 people use this screen at the same time the IDS are going to be the same and it will try to persist the same ids causing it to crash.

I hope this gives you a better perspective i also believe some one might have another approach which might help you.
  • Hi Jose Cavazos (josec0002)  -

Incrementing constants isn't as fashionable today as it was in the past.

While it's technically possible, it's not the best solution as too much of this practice can lead to unexpectedly high memory utilization as the versions of the constant grow.

Please have a look at this playbook play for generating guids.

Reply Children
No Data