How to find administrators of a group in /design Appian 18.2?

Certified Lead Developer

Can someone please inform me on how to find administrators of a group in /design since 18.2 doesn't have /designer anymore? Please see screenshot below.

Group security is not a one to one mapping of the administrator tab in /designer.  

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Jamal Case (jamalc823)
    I looked at the screens you added.
    One of the chief complaints about groups management in old /designer was that it was too difficult to identify precisely how a user or group became a member of a parent group.
    There was a great deal of confusion about direct vs inherited permissions.
    For example, if you added group X to group Y, all the members of group X were displayed as members of group Y.
    You could try to delete an individual member (of group X) from group Y all day long and it wouldn't disappear.
    That's because those users inherited their permissions in group Y via group X.

So, looking at your screenshots - when you look at the old /designer groups>administrators tab, you're being shown all direct + inherited members of that group. This display proved out to be more confusing than it was useful.

Today, the product does a much better job of helping us designers distinguish between direct vs inherited relationships between users and groups.
    Looking at the newer /designer group security dialog, I can see that you've got two groups in there. Those are the groups that have been directly added to the group you're inspecting.
    I suspect that if you audited all the groups and users inside these two groups, you'd have your 1:1 mapping.

As a designer, at first, it's an adjustment to look at it this way, but the product team put a lot of thought into this change, and it reflects what the design community has wanted for a long time.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Robert Shankin
    Thank you for this explanation. I understand now.
  • Thanks for this answer. I was working with a customer who was concerned about the differences here, and you clarified the changes and the reasoning behind them nicely.