'=' sign before interface components

Hi,

I am wondering what does it mean by '=' sign before the interface components/what difference does it make by an '=' sign.

For example , in the documentation while giving example for BoxLayout , the code is written as

=a!boxLayout() and not a!boxLayout.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    More primitive appian expressions (like if you put an expression in a node input for example) require the "=" prior to expression code so that Appian knows to interpret it as an expression and not plain text. The "=" sign used to be required at the start of all expressions, expression rules, etc, but in recent releases has been largely mitigated. The only place I can still think of that it makes any difference is, as I mentioned, node inputs (to see what I mean, type in a literal value without the "=" and then open the expression editor for the field, and you should notice that the expression editor has interpreted it as a string, complete with quotes.)
    www.screencast.com/.../fjQlBzG0th2G
    Certified Lead Developer
    More primitive appian expressions (like if you put an expression in a node input for example) require the "=" prior to expression code so that Appian knows to interpret it as an expression and not plain text. The "=" sign used to be required at the start of all expressions, expression rules, etc, but in recent releases has been largely mitigated. The only place I can still think of that it makes any difference is, as I mentioned, node inputs (to see what I mean, type in a literal value without the "=" and then open the expression editor for the field, and you should notice that the expression editor has interpreted it as a string, complete with quotes.)
    www.screencast.com/.../fjQlBzG0th2G
Children
No Data