Does Appian restrict users from opening a document if it is opened by another user

Hi All,

consider a Group with A,B as group members added in it and that group has access to a document.

I have a requirement where if the document is opened by A through Interface/Related Action and if B tries to open the same document at the same time can we restrict the document being opened by B with some message or alert?

Please provide your inputs. Thanks in advance.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • I'm not suggesting any plugin that I know of.
    Instead, what you could explore is a design in which you secure documents that are "in use" by another user.

You can disable the link to a document that's in use or secure it to the user who's got it open.

Probably you'd need to predicate access to these types of documents on some kind of user activity that actively locks that document. For example, put a list of documents in a selectable grid, and then when the user selects the items and submits the form, they are directed to an interface that displays the download links for those documents.  This is the "check out" operation.

This can be risky because you'll probably need to ensure that the documents can be unlocked or automaticaly checked back in if the user fails to do it manually.

• yes, one idea I have similar to this approach is showing only the documents in an Interface which will be assigned to the group and if user A accepts the task then only A would be able to access those documents but not B.

I think I can use the Editable grid approach if I want to show the documents in Record Dashboard/Report.

Thank you so much.