Can you grab the computer clock date, time, and timezone of a user?

We have a requirement that when a user signs a document, we need to set the date of the user, not the system date.  We can grab the users's profile timezone to calculate the date, but they are concerned that the user's can alter this to achieve the required date.  User's cannot change their system timezone/clock.  Is it possible to capture the system clock in SAIL when I user clicks the "Sign" button?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • No, this is not currently possible. I am curious what you mean when you say "users cannot change their system timezone/clock". I'm assuming you mean that your Appian environment is only accessible from tightly controlled computers that would not permit the time to change? Otherwise, I'm not sure I see what would stop users from changing the system date/time.

However, in a situation with such tightly controlled computers, it seems like it would also be fairly easy to determine which computer a user was using, thereby allowing you to convert the server time to the user's local time in the unlikely event that a dispute ever were to arise. (You could then also couple this information with the login audit records to show the ip address the user was logged in from.) So, as long as you preserved some general audit information, you would be effectively meeting any requirements for traceability/proof. 

On a practical note, I will say that most legal documents have the person fill in the date next to their signature. Of course, I'm not familiar with your specific use case--and it sounds like it may indeed differ from the norm--but generally the penalties for providing false information are a strong enough deterrent in their own right. 

• Yes that is possible.  How can we access system meta data of the user within appian?  We are on 18.1.

Reply Children
No Data