Design Consideration before implementing appian Solution

Hello All,

Please explain the design consideration before implementing an application, What are the things considered before creating an appian solution.

Thanks in Advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hello when you say Appian solution you meant to say.  The whole Appian as a platform to bring new little projects leveraging the low code and deliver quickly ?  

Or you already have Appian and want to implement a new application ?

Please tell us more on which stage are you to provide a better answer.

I will assume you already have Appian, I want to mention we have the Appian playbook which can guide you in the whole journey while in an apoian project

the appian playbook

Project initiation best practices

project initiation best practices checklist

Specifically to deliver a project there is one article which can help you.

recommended delivery methodology

Or maybe the design checklist could help

design review checklist

In the other hand I can tell you some high level stuff like:

- Appian is awesome as a BPM and process management tool

- Appian is not an ETL or  service bus or BI or other tools like that, even though we can solve those kind of scenarios with Appian it has a limit that is worth to review with you trusted Appian Architect.

- all those tools can be embedded in Appian for example.

Indevelopment perspective (we have the best practices) just to mention some

- don’t use nested CDTs with more than 1 level. (Preferable none)

- don’t have views with more than x number of joins

- follow the naming convention

- take into consideration the mobile design if you are going to support mobile version.

- and so on

If you want us to elaborate in a particular subject please let us know what exactly are you looking for

Thanks

Jose

• As Josep mentioned which stage of application considerations you need.

After reading your question,Understood that you need considerations.Some of the Considerations you need to check are

1. Security for application : for which group and users this application is to be visible

2. Objects : 

2(a). Objects you will be created for this application or modify already existing objects should be included into this Application.

2(b). Security consideration on each object.

2(c). Process Model privileges to the users whom you want to work on this object.

3. Naming Conventions for each object will differ, check for all the objects that you are following the naming conventions.

Elaborate your Considerations for application, will explain you more.. 

A Score Level 1
    in reply to josep

Thanks Josep, I am new to appian BPM, hence i was just wondering about the the procedure or the design consideration before we create a new business application from scratch and to make the application efficient from different perspectives.

Certified Lead Developer

Start with the problem statement.  What do you need an app to do?  What is missing from the business that would be an asset?  It's possible that your company already has processes in place.  Which is the biggest bottleneck?  Which would be the easiest to deliver an optimized app to replace it?  Where can you find the highest ROI on a quick win to earn product buy-in from the rest of the corporation?

Now, when you've decided on something to build, what does it need to do?  What will it need to do that?  Who will be using it?  What systems will it use, and what systems will need to use it?  Is it something you could deliver a small solution for and then expand on?

• For that please review the Appian playbook you will find there a lot of best practices.

It is really important to have them always in mind.

There are design patterns and lot of things that will help before during and after the development.

Please make sure you take a look at those.

Thanks

Jose

A Score Level 1
    in reply to josep

Thank you so much Josep, i will definitely do that.