How to output data into Excel template and export as new file copy

Hello there,

I would like to export existing data from Appian into an excel template. I am trying to do something similar as the way I do it by using the "MS Word 2007 Doc from Template" smart service, where I am able to replace the values of variables based on the data I am trying to export. Is there a similar smart service to export data to an excel template?

Thanks in advance,

Juan

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Appian's only currently supported functionality to export data to Excel is the "Export DSE to Excel" smart service, which was introduced a few versions ago.  Unfortunately, unlike the Excel Tools plug-in functions it was meant to replace, there was no provision given to use a base excel template of any sort (hence my prior Feature Request which hasn't resulted in much yet).

The workaround that I've seen used that might suit you until the EDSEtE smart service is upgraded/fixed: use the Copy Document smart service to make a new/separate copy of an existing template file, and then use the EDSEtE node on that (which will modify the source file, in this case a new copy).  IIRC, Copy Document is also found in a plug-in.

Certified Lead Developer

Appian's only currently supported functionality to export data to Excel is the "Export DSE to Excel" smart service, which was introduced a few versions ago.  Unfortunately, unlike the Excel Tools plug-in functions it was meant to replace, there was no provision given to use a base excel template of any sort (hence my prior Feature Request which hasn't resulted in much yet).

The workaround that I've seen used that might suit you until the EDSEtE smart service is upgraded/fixed: use the Copy Document smart service to make a new/separate copy of an existing template file, and then use the EDSEtE node on that (which will modify the source file, in this case a new copy).  IIRC, Copy Document is also found in a plug-in.

Children
No Data