Set the Site Branding Logo to the Admin Console Branding Logo

When we do a deployment, the release manager will upload the latest release logo to the admin console.  We are moving towards using sites and would like to have this logo updated for each site as well, but the release manager does not want to change any design time objects, which the logo is tied to.

We do not have any statically hosted web logo at the moment.

Is there a way to get the logo that is used in the Admin console by expression so it can be shown in each site?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • That would work and would require some custom development.  I think Appian could work on some of their configuration management to differentiate between design and run time.

• Hi Jacob - 

I had to read your post a couple of times - 
    I'm guessing that what you're asserting is that your site logo is set against a web address.
    Is that the case?  It's not 100% clear the way you wrote it.  In any case, that's ok.
    So, it sounds like you're piggybacking off of a URL that happens to suit your need - until it doesn't anymore.  Sounds like sometimes it changes and it's not good for you anymore.  Either the logo at the address is no longer appropriate, or the address breaks.   Tell me if I'm not close.
    If it's either of those things then consider the following - either (a) use 's approach, 
    OR
    come up with an address that never changes, like mysite.com/images/ourAppianSiteLogo.png.  
    Whenever the logo changes, put it in the correct folder and give it that name.
    that should keep you free and clear of design changes to this aspect of your site.

outside question, though - 
    does your site logo change so much that this change merits this much discussion?
    If so, what kind of experience is it for users to see a new logo so often?

I hope this helps!

Rob

• It is not a URL, its an uploaded logo.  And yes, it changes each release because it includes the release number in the logo.  Users use that release number against generated release notes.

• Hi Jacob -

Sounds like I misunderstood you.
    do you mean your application release notes or Appian release notes?
    Are you saying that the release manager touches the admin console and that individual brands the application site with a logo images that should get used in multiple places?

I'm not going to tell you what you should do as "should" is often treated like a 4 letter word.

I can tell you what most teams do to deal with this sort of requirement:

1. the release number is clearly communicated before the release
    2. an image file is uploaded to Appian during the development cycle
    3. a constant object configured such that it represents the file.
    4. all locations where the image is to be displayed, including the admin console branding configs reference the constant.

And to my knowledge, there is not an expression available to reference a branding file configured in the admin console elsewhere.  
    I thinking about this, I've noticed that there is no option to reference the admin console branding via an expression, like you can with sites.  I don't have insight into that decision. However, I can say that sites are often for use by different groups and don't necessarily overlap, For this reason, (and probably others), there's the flexibility to brand sites uniquely.

• Application release, not Appian.

Yes, it would be great to know the release during development cycle, but since we are agile and have hotfixes, a feature could move from release to release and other hotfixes could go out before the expected development release.

I guess it would be great to be able to select a single application branding across tempo and sites (in the site design time configuration).