What is the difference between Integration Object and Web API?

Hi All,

I wanted to know what exactly is the difference between an Integration Object and Web API in Appian? It would be really helpful if someone can explain it with simple use cases so as to when these objects should be used.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer

Hi

WEB API is meant for exposing the Appian data outside the world (with authentication). For example: As an Organisation there are several projects running and I have a requirement to expose the data / services to the other system (let's say Java), in this case we will need to create and configure a Web API so that Java can use Appian's API URL by providing authentication / service account details to invoke it.

Whereas, Integration object is a client, which is responsible to interact with an API (within or outside Appian). For example: In Java, there is a service exposed to GET the list of requests, in order to get this information into Appian, we can make the use of Integration Object.

I would recommend you exploring the Appian documentation to have the more understanding about Web API and Integration Objects.

Hope this will help you. 

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer

Hi

WEB API is meant for exposing the Appian data outside the world (with authentication). For example: As an Organisation there are several projects running and I have a requirement to expose the data / services to the other system (let's say Java), in this case we will need to create and configure a Web API so that Java can use Appian's API URL by providing authentication / service account details to invoke it.

Whereas, Integration object is a client, which is responsible to interact with an API (within or outside Appian). For example: In Java, there is a service exposed to GET the list of requests, in order to get this information into Appian, we can make the use of Integration Object.

I would recommend you exploring the Appian documentation to have the more understanding about Web API and Integration Objects.

Hope this will help you. 

Children
No Data