Exercises Appian Environment for Individuals

Hi there,

Thank you for your service here.

I just started my journey to learn Appian as an interested low-code platform, but I am somehow disappointed as a trial version to practice and apply what you will learn is only 14 days ! which is not enough completely for a long term learning and for individual developers whos not correlated to clients or partners.

Some other companies offer unlimited access to their platforms for these kinds of developers either cloud or even VMs so is that possible with Appian soon? suppose I am a freelancer who wants to build a vertical solution based on Appian and want to market it between specific clients? What I should do with a 14-days period?! or suppose I will take at least 1 year to be an expert in Appian? how can I practice during this full year without access to the development environment?

Thanks

Okbah,

• Add to Phrasebook
    • No word lists for English -> Arabic...
    • Create a new word list...
  • Copy

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Appian Guarantee says that if you're a technical person, you should be able to learn Appian in 2 weeks.  So the free trial period simply matches what they say it would take.  I don't know what makes you think that you would need an entire year to become an expert at Appian.  Most practitioners I know were skilled enough to pass the Level 1 Certification exam in between a month and, no really, 2 weeks.  It takes an entire year to get a Level 2 Certification like I have.  

This isn't your traditional programming language, which has a different form of revenue stream, but more of a Platform as a Service.  The trial account is for the purpose of determining if this is the platform that you would like to be provided to you as a service.  It's like test driving a car, and who lets you test drive a car for more than a month? 

The more traditional programming language aspect I would say comes in the form of the documentation, which is free for you to use indefinitely.  You also have the option now of signing up for the Appian World Hackathon, which will give you a trial account that lasts until February 7.

• Thanks for your replay David, but you missed my point here.

I came from a tech background even in the low-code platforms, but I see the learning is a continuous process as the technology change day over day, also I am talked about individuals who not attached to any customer or partner.

I think 14-days not enough to develop anything based on Appian and even to be fully expert in the system.

The trend now is to provide a full access to Appian-likes platforms with limited space/storage so you can learn an all times, build your PoC and test it, try the system with near all features then when you move to production you will purchase the licenses, check the following vendors who provided full access to their platforms:
    1- Pega: access to cloud and downloadable VM.
    2- Outsystems: Full access to the cloud with limited space and users

3- Mendix

4- Bizagi: Free download of their platform

and others.

I think this manner will increase the popularity of the platform then the market share.

Thanks for an indication to the Hackathon

Regards,

Appian Employee
    in reply to okbahm0001

We take your feedback seriously and it will be considered as we are actively evaluating enhancements to the trial program, e.g. trial period length. 

I do agree with David’s point that the Appian Guarantee is that anyone technical can be trained as an Appian developer in 2 weeks. There are great resources available during and beyond that time on docs.appian.com and https://academy.appian.com/

However, in order to continue growing the Appian developer community, we will look to support it with the trial in new and exciting ways going forward.

• I also would like to get an environment to mess around in (a downloadable VM would be great).  If the export feature could be disabled then you cannot write code and move to another environment....

In 14 days you cannot play with records, reports, cdts, webapi, sites, tempo, tasks, process models, ldap, connected systems, custom plugins, custom functions, etc etc etc....

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Ben Dudley

Thanks Ben for your thoughts on this.

I see we have wounder full course material designed by Appian which is available on Appian Academy.

My Question :

1.Are these online videos/tutorials are free? or If we take those courses, is it will be charged to organization?

(I know if we register Virtual Classes it will be charged. Iam not talking about the Virtual Classes / Class Room Training)

For example "Appian Guarantee Path" had 25 Sessions. Can we watch and practice these 25 sessions free of cost? or If we enroll for these 25 courses, is the organization charged?

Please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

Appian Employee
    in reply to ravir0001

All the courses on Academy Online are free. Anyone can sign up and watch the videos as much as you like!

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Great to hear. Thanks much Peter for the Clarification.

Reply Children
No Data