How to authenticate against an external account automatically?

I want to be able to authenticate against an external account without having to manually enter the accounts credentials. Appian has an example to authenticate using a link. However, this forces the user to enter the credentials on an external system in order to have access to such connection. What I want to do is to have that authentication be done in the background without the need for the link. In most cases the users won't have access to the credentials, so I would like to store that in a document or constants so when they navigate to the interface it is done for them.

For clarity, the specific component I'm working with is the Power BI plugin which requires the connection to be authenticated every time is used for each user. However, I don't think the above request is specific to my case and there could be a generic way of doing this.

Has anyone run into this scenario and found a solution? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Hi Jose

There are two ways to use OAuth 2.0. The one you described is the OAuth 2.0: Authorization Code Grant as described here. Each user need to authenticate using the authentication link to grant the access to the external system. You are actually looking for the Client Credentials Grant as described here. Using this the client (Appian) will authenticate in the background with the external system.

However, I don't know what authentication method Power BI offers.For OAuth client credentials you need a client id, client secret, and token request endpoint. Maybe Power BIs API also offers authentication using an API key, which would also fulfill your requirement. In any case, you should create a connected system to store the credentials instead of constants or documents. 

Certified Lead Developer

Hi Jose

There are two ways to use OAuth 2.0. The one you described is the OAuth 2.0: Authorization Code Grant as described here. Each user need to authenticate using the authentication link to grant the access to the external system. You are actually looking for the Client Credentials Grant as described here. Using this the client (Appian) will authenticate in the background with the external system.

However, I don't know what authentication method Power BI offers.For OAuth client credentials you need a client id, client secret, and token request endpoint. Maybe Power BIs API also offers authentication using an API key, which would also fulfill your requirement. In any case, you should create a connected system to store the credentials instead of constants or documents. 

Children