Exception ,Error handling, showing custom error messages

How to deal with exeptions or errors in appian. I would like to show a custom error message to the user instead of technical terms. At the same time , the errors with specific technical terms must be logged into a file ,so that the relevant team can look into it. So how do i do these two things, Custom error message and Error logging .

Thanks,

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • The answer is that it depends on the context. Some errors are handled automatically by Appian and do not give you the ability to implement a try/throw/catch pattern. Other errors do. So ti really depends on what objects you're using and what the nature of the "error" is that you want to catch and provide a user-friendly display of.

• Lets say for a send email smart service , I want to display a user friendly message when the email is not sent or for invalid email address.

Another situation will be , a user doesnt have privelege for a page or some page had error in opening up . In this case I saw the error page given by appian by default had all technical details instead of a user friendly message. 

So like these scenarios, is it possible to handle them with a custom errror message

• So if apian allows the ability to implement try,throw cach pattern for some errors, How do i do it? 

And any insights on error log for  a application.

Thanks 

• Hi Naresh - remember where I said it depended? SO, for your second question on the Send E-mail Smart Service, you can configure the Data Outputs:

You would have to map the values you want to test to pv!s and then test them and then route to a User Input Task where you can display the results of your Send E-mail task. Whether you always route to this User Input Task or only when there are errors is for you to decide/design.

The other examples you asked about (user permissions error on a page or a technical error in a page) then, no, currently there is no try/throw/catch available.Both of these are errors that should be caught by testing (that is, you shouldn't have a Production instance of either of these if your testing was comprehensive enough and caught all these possibilities)...but with the best will in the world some defects will make it through. And, yes, it would be useful to be able to show user-friendly error messages at the front-end, and at the same time raise alerts to the relevant Technical Support Team, and in many cases this is currently not possible. This capability is on the Appian Features backlog but no specific release targeted AFAIK..

• Thank you so much, So can we take it like , for smart services , the possible errors can be tested from their node outputs? There isnt any error that will not fall into the categories in the node outputs? If thats the case, then its fine. 

And any insights on application log?

Thanks in advance

Reply Children