What questions or comments do you have about 20.2?

Hello everyone, 

Were you able to watch the 20.2 Product Announcement Webinar? Is there a particular feature that you're excited to try out? Did you want more information about anything? Write your comments or questions about the release and I'll respond along with members of our product management team. 

If you missed the 20.2 webinar don't worry, you can catch it here. Thank you very much and I look forward to speaking with you.

V/R,

Jon Katora

Product Marketing team at Appian

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I'm always excited when I see the process modeler get some love.  That remains one of the more time-consuming parts of creating virtually all apps.  So there's lots of opportunity still to shave off more time to keep up the 2x faster every 2 years.

The best thing has to be the removal of the verbose error messages.  That's actually a huge step forward in security.  I love how developers still have access to the verbose messages.  They are actually quite helpful for us triagers.

I like the little extra fine grained control of UI with the column spacing.  AND YOU FINALLY SUPPORT MULTIPLE FONTS!  I like having progress bars in the grid.  I think the goal is to eventually have virtually every component there is accessible to grid fields.

• David, I always love to see process modeler improvements too. Is there any other improvements that you'd like to see in the process modeler?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Jonathan Katora
    Is there any other improvements that you'd like to see in the process modeler?

The most egregious current / remaining legacy issue - "one-line" expression boxes, which while editable to add multi-line expressions, strip all linebreaks when saving, destroying complicated formatting.  The "format expression" button recently added is nice but it's merely a band-aid on this issue, as it adds issues of its own (like hyperinflation of basic 1-line code into multiple lines).

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

YAS!

What would be exceptionally nice is if you could port more of the expression editing we're used to from the expression editor right there into the Process Modeler.

Indentation, browsing the domains and function list, shortcut keys, color highlighting.

It would be absolutely AMAZING if we could attach unit test cases to our script tasks.  Process models remain the biggest objects we can't do TDD on so well. (Yes, you can trade all of these inputs for Expression Rules that the script tasks call, but it's not the same).  It would be very nice if we could put test cases on XOR gates too.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

YAS!

What would be exceptionally nice is if you could port more of the expression editing we're used to from the expression editor right there into the Process Modeler.

Indentation, browsing the domains and function list, shortcut keys, color highlighting.

It would be absolutely AMAZING if we could attach unit test cases to our script tasks.  Process models remain the biggest objects we can't do TDD on so well. (Yes, you can trade all of these inputs for Expression Rules that the script tasks call, but it's not the same).  It would be very nice if we could put test cases on XOR gates too.

Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Dave Lewis
    It would be very nice if we could put test cases on XOR gates too

Interesting idea, but this seems like a monumental effort to implement.  OTOH i strongly agree that it'd be nice if PM expression edit boxes had more of the features of expression edit boxes in other places of the system, like autocomplete, formatting, control-clickability, etc.  And *at least* allowing us to save (i.e. task instance names) with multi-line expressions.