refresh

Certified Associate Developer

hi, 

I'm looking for something to refresh variable every one secound, 

I was try "a!refreshVariable()", but it dose not make refresh less than 30 secound

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• a!refreshVariable should be the approach to follow for refreshing variables. Refreshing every second would probably have quite an impact in the interface performance and that's probably the reason behind only allowing 30s as the minimum interval.

Can you shed some light on what you're trying to do? There could be other ways to do it. 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Pedro Simões

The use case I've had in the past that would need this is i.e. having an updated "current time" including seconds on the interface; useful for either showing the current time or especially, showing a "countdown" timer if the task has a tight hardcoded expiration deadline.

I understand why the refresh functionality has a hardcoded refresh speed limit, but at the same time it seems a little silly that there is still no way to cause certain components/values to refresh in "real time" on interfaces.  Most other web-form technology i've seen (as a user, at the very least) seems to have plenty of ways of handling this, yet we're stuck with.... nothing.

• I'd like to agree it would be very beneficial to configure a!refreshVariable() lower than 30 seconds where appropriate.  We have situations with groups of dedicated workers living in the same task report - say a group of finance billers, or a service center in a high paced environment, where multiple tasks can be accepted and completed within 30 seconds during busy times.  With the current limitations, users complain about repeatedly attempting to pick up tasks that have already be accepted by another group member, etc, causing wasted time due to stale reporting.

For safety, it could be added to the health check as a reference for any interfaces utilizing refreshes less than 30 seconds.  System impact / performance I think should be in the hands of the devs/admins to weigh functionality vs load in these situations.

To note, it IS possible to take down an entire environment with current components anyway - don't ask how I know! :) 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris

In case you haven't already tried this, I'd suggest a workaround of a readily-accessible "refresh button" (large rich text icon) that causes the task acceptance data to be reloaded on demand.  Not perfect by any means but if users are accustomed to trying that before clicking into a task, it might reduce misclicks.

• Yea, we do use refresh buttons in most of these areas - a!refreshVariables() has just been teasing me with almost being able to put those work-arounds to bed!

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Pedro Simões

in my case, 

I have chat system and I need something to refresh messages.

I want realtime chat.