Purpose of Stored Procedure

Hi All,

Could someone please help on Stored Procedure used in Appian?

My main question is why do we need Stored Procedure in Appian? What is the main purpose behind using this?

In What scenario it can be preferred over views?

Thanks

Faisal

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

There are some situations where it can be useful. In my opinion we should use every tool for what is best at. A stored procedure can provide better overall performance to do heavy process of data directly in the database rather than with a business process in Appian. 

One example of stored procedure could be to refresh/manipulate a big volume of data in the database. I remember refreshing all the data of a database with data coming from another database. The team tried to use a business process for that and it took two hours to process all the data. Instead, we replaced it with a stored procedure.

Whenever the number of rows to manipulate is big and includes logic on every row I would consider using a stored procedure. It should be the exception rather than the rule. The first choice is to use Appian direclty. If it is a special case that involves processing a lot of data then consider a stored procedure.

Certified Lead Developer

There are some situations where it can be useful. In my opinion we should use every tool for what is best at. A stored procedure can provide better overall performance to do heavy process of data directly in the database rather than with a business process in Appian. 

One example of stored procedure could be to refresh/manipulate a big volume of data in the database. I remember refreshing all the data of a database with data coming from another database. The team tried to use a business process for that and it took two hours to process all the data. Instead, we replaced it with a stored procedure.

Whenever the number of rows to manipulate is big and includes logic on every row I would consider using a stored procedure. It should be the exception rather than the rule. The first choice is to use Appian direclty. If it is a special case that involves processing a lot of data then consider a stored procedure.

Children
No Data