Is Appian able to build a mobile app like Instagram?

Hi all, newly registered user here and still trying to figure out my way on the trial interface. I am looking to build a native mobile app for people to upload and share photos, something similar to Instagram. I would like to ask if anyone has used Appian for something similar before?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • A question that any lead worth their salt will ask at the beginning of gathering requirements is "to what extent are you approximating Instagram". Appian is certainly very capable of building a platform where a variety of users upload and share photos between them. You can even simulate many of the searching, tagging, linking, albums, etc. That functionality is available on Appian's mobile app, which will probably need a few adjustments in the name of UX if the main use case is via mobile device, but will come together really quickly compared to starting development from scratch in say... Java.

If you're trying to compete with Instagram: their custom platform, hundreds of millions of dollars in development, in house and devoted developers, ability to access any open source functionality and merge it into their platform to solve problems, not to mention their ability to lean on Google / Alphabet's other IPs, and deep talent pools due to extremely competitive salaries. And you're trying to do that with less budget than them, less people then them, with consultants instead of devoted in house developers on Appian's BPM platform instead of your own platform custom made to solve your unique use case problems: you're going to have a bad time.

TLDR: Possible - from a functionality standpoint, mostly, yes. But if you're trying to compete with Instagram have to realize Appian, while really good in it's niche, is NOT Google or Amazon. We're large fish in a small, growing pond, maybe even a lake. They are those dinosaur sharks that use to swim in the ocean that can swallow a bus.

• Thanks very much for the insight. I suppose what I was trying to find out was what you alluded to in your first paragraph. We want to do a POC on an idea which would require an interface similar to Instagram, and wanted to get it up and running quickly for the POC rather than building from scratch. If the POC kicks off and turns into a real product, then yes it would make sense to start building it in-house.

• Thanks very much for the insight. I suppose what I was trying to find out was what you alluded to in your first paragraph. We want to do a POC on an idea which would require an interface similar to Instagram, and wanted to get it up and running quickly for the POC rather than building from scratch. If the POC kicks off and turns into a real product, then yes it would make sense to start building it in-house.

Children
No Data