No Response if Large size Document Retrieval through Web API

Certified Senior Developer

Hi All,

we implemented a WEB - API for document retrieval by providing the Document ID as input parameter.  Some times WEB-API consumers facing issues when the given document is larger size like more than >500MB.

Please clarify below couple of questions.

• Is there any size limit while sending the large document as Web API response ( we are using todcument(docId) in WEB-API response)?
  • No response from WEB -API if the given document is more than >500 MB. where can we find the related response info such as Errors, timeout etc( like logs locations)?
  • What is the workaround/best practice to over come this?

Thanks in advance.

-Ram.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents

Hello Ram,

I have honestly been researching this problem of yours since you posted it, and frankly I am puzzled, like I thought of so many things (some are not so clever) so here goes,

first Question: what I found out was that Appian doesn't support uploading files larger than 1GB, so naturally I think the limit for sending a document is 1GB.

second Question: I'm still quite puzzled as to what exactly is happening, like, Appian let's you create your own logic as to when to return certain status codes when certain criteria is met, and is it really that bad that the web service isn't run at all? I hope you check your admin console "monitoring" section (img below) and maybe get an idea if the service is run at all, and if the document downloading is started or not from the Appian platform, I think it might be that the application starting the web API is failing to receive such a big file, IDK.

as for the third question I hope someone with a more expertise might help us here.

one last thing, I have created a test web API in my Appian instance that retrieves a document by its id and have uploaded two files one with a size of 500MB and another with a size of 667MB, and when i invoke the URL for the service it does what it's supposed to and downloads the file with no problems, I don't know what that might mean in your case but it's just an FYI.

best of luck.

-Ahmad

Hello Ram,

I have honestly been researching this problem of yours since you posted it, and frankly I am puzzled, like I thought of so many things (some are not so clever) so here goes,

first Question: what I found out was that Appian doesn't support uploading files larger than 1GB, so naturally I think the limit for sending a document is 1GB.

second Question: I'm still quite puzzled as to what exactly is happening, like, Appian let's you create your own logic as to when to return certain status codes when certain criteria is met, and is it really that bad that the web service isn't run at all? I hope you check your admin console "monitoring" section (img below) and maybe get an idea if the service is run at all, and if the document downloading is started or not from the Appian platform, I think it might be that the application starting the web API is failing to receive such a big file, IDK.

as for the third question I hope someone with a more expertise might help us here.

one last thing, I have created a test web API in my Appian instance that retrieves a document by its id and have uploaded two files one with a size of 500MB and another with a size of 667MB, and when i invoke the URL for the service it does what it's supposed to and downloads the file with no problems, I don't know what that might mean in your case but it's just an FYI.

best of luck.

-Ahmad

Children