Implement a "watchlist" feature

A Score Level 1

Hello everyone,

Our client asked for a requirement where we should allow our users to subscribe to a "watchlist", allowing a user to click and be aware of any kind of changes that occur on a specific object and receive a notification (email, mobile...) whenever the object suffers any change.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? Does Appian support this function OOTB? I couldn't find any information regarding this process.

Kind regards

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I think that this could be easily implemented if your "Object" happens to be a record.  You just have to include a "Follow" and "Unfollow" related action on records, and then make sure all of your Record Related Actions that modify the record also send an email (MNI that) for each user on the "followers" list for that record.

In the backend, I think the best way to implement that would be a FOLLOWERS lookup table that has a user ID foreign key and a record ID foreign key, exactly as Chris said.  You can either have a different FOLLOWERS for each record you want to be followed, or you'd have to go through a few shenanigans to use one global table to join to all the different tables, though after so many you'd have to do it that way to keep your sanity.

Certified Lead Developer

I think that this could be easily implemented if your "Object" happens to be a record.  You just have to include a "Follow" and "Unfollow" related action on records, and then make sure all of your Record Related Actions that modify the record also send an email (MNI that) for each user on the "followers" list for that record.

In the backend, I think the best way to implement that would be a FOLLOWERS lookup table that has a user ID foreign key and a record ID foreign key, exactly as Chris said.  You can either have a different FOLLOWERS for each record you want to be followed, or you'd have to go through a few shenanigans to use one global table to join to all the different tables, though after so many you'd have to do it that way to keep your sanity.

Children
No Data