How do I extend the Cucumber for Appian framework so that I can use my own glue and step definitions & move the tear down to the @after method?

Hello there, 

I have been overall enjoying the Cucumber for Appian framework however it has severe limitations and some design decisions that I wish to change. 

First of all I do not agree with the decision to place the Tear Down inside of the actual example steps. This is not good best practice as it means if you exit a test for whatever reason before the test finishes the chrome driver will not tear down. Instead this should have been put in the @after within the test running class. Can I still tear down in the @after? How would I go about calling the actual tear down method, I am fairly good with Java but I am not a developer and the code is very complicated. 

My second question is that I need the ability to at times pass random values as fields for the my steps. For example our project involves "duplicate checks" and without being able to dynamically generate these fields I am stuck having to edit the test script each time. I know it's technically possible to extend the Appian framework with my own but I'm a bit confused about how exactly I would extend the Appian framework. Would I just import it as a library? And once I do extend it where in the Appian code are the step definitions stored, it looks much different than Cucumber projects that I am used to. 

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
  • You must follow a standard guide on creating a Cucumber custom-step definition class. I can tell you that you will need to import the following: 

com.appiancorp.ps.automatedtest.fixture.TempoFixture
    com.appiancorp.ps.automatedtest.fixture.SitesFixture
    com.appiancorp.ps.automatedtest.fixture.BaseFixture

depending on which specific steps you want to use. 

As far as the glue, I am not using any glue. As long as the custom step definition is in the same package as your test runner, you do not need to add the glue and can just comment it out. 

Children
No Data