Site Testing

Certified Senior Developer

An often occuring frustration when testing out an interface is that it will work fine within the interface editor, but once we throw it on a site, something goes wrong. That wouldn't be too big a deal as it's all part of development, but whenever we test interfaces on a site, there is no way to see what values the variables are getting for diagnostic purposes. We can hide/show the components on the site, but is there some way for developers to also see variable values? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I assume you might have some variables / queries that depend on the user viewing the form.  A technique I've developed gradually is, instead of throwing the loggedInUser() function all over your interface(s), is to capture it only once into a local variable and then using that in queries, group membership checks, etc.  For debugging purposes, this is a big help because then we can instead temporarily change the "local!currentUser" variable delcaration to refer manually to a username instead of loggedInUser(), and make sure things still work.

Certified Lead Developer

I assume you might have some variables / queries that depend on the user viewing the form.  A technique I've developed gradually is, instead of throwing the loggedInUser() function all over your interface(s), is to capture it only once into a local variable and then using that in queries, group membership checks, etc.  For debugging purposes, this is a big help because then we can instead temporarily change the "local!currentUser" variable delcaration to refer manually to a username instead of loggedInUser(), and make sure things still work.

Children
  • I assume you might have some variables / queries that depend on the user viewing the form.  A technique I've developed gradually is, instead of throwing the loggedInUser() function all over your interface(s), is to capture it only once into a local variable and then using that in queries, group membership checks, etc.  For debugging purposes, this is a big help because then we can instead temporarily change the "local!currentUser" variable delcaration to refer manually to a username instead of loggedInUser(), and make sure things still work.

100% agree, aside from my debugging hide/show, always always have a local!user: loggedinuser() type variable declared at the top of the interface, and reference local!user throughout (passing to child interfaces as well).  Being able to change this to a value in one line for debugging such as local!user: touser("john.doe"), and test, is huge. 

My case for loggedinuser() within the debugging only section is so I can throw it on other developers' interfaces that do not have local!user declared for whatever reason.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

As an advanced tactic, in some interfaces I define "local!currentUser" like this, to enable myself to throw in an arbitrary username as needed, and switch to it instantly just by commenting out the line with "loggedInUser()".

local!currentUser: a!refreshVariable(
        value: {
          loggedInUser(),
          "throwawayuser823498"
        }[1],
        refreshAlways: true()
      ),

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

These sound like awesome ideas. I just need to go in and rejigger everyone else's interfaces for it Slight smile

Thanks for the tips