"Task could not be submitted" Timeout exception

Certified Senior Developer

We have an bug where:

WHEN a user is in a user input task and allows the timer (1 hr) to terminate the task

THEN they are stuck in this screen and not able to close out of the task with the EXCEPTION of closing out of the tab.

My question is besides extending the timer is there any way to circumvent this error or allow users to exit out of the dialogue box without closing the tab?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer

This is a longstanding "feature" (as in, "it's not a bug, it's a feature"... for some reason) since ... well i've been here over 10 years now.

There are several reasonable and usable workarounds.  All of them involve preventing the user from being able to click on a task's submit button past the expiration timer.  My favorite one, of course, is to make the expiration timeout long enough that no user will ever be on the task that long - after all, do you really want to have a user in a situation where they fill out 95% of a form, then wander away to lunch, then come back and everything is lost because the timer fired?

The other main method I usually do, geared more towards forms where a user doesn't actually need to "submit" it in any case, such as a "final confirmation" form, is to present them with a task with NO submit capability - this could include a SafeLink that navigates back to their Site, or just instructions that tell them (for instance) to click on the "Home Tab", etc.  These could have a particularly short timeout time value, since the user won't be trying to submit them at all.

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Thank you for this, I wish there were a bit more visibility to the longstanding "features" in the documentation. 

Reply Children
No Data