Querying nulls logic

Certified Senior Developer

I was making a query today in which I wanted to find entries based on a particular field and if that field happens to be null, I want all the entries that have that field null. I ended up with 2 filters, one that looks for entries when the value is not null, and one that looks for entries when the value is null. It works and all, but the thing is there's a parameter called ignoreFiltersWithEmptyValues that is usually true by default. But you can make it false and now instead of ignoring those filters with empty values, it gives an error for each filter with empty values. My question is why does this parameter even exist if all turning it off does is cause an error on null values? Wouldn't it make more sense to search for null values instead? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Hi Marco! I've definitely run into this problem before, and as others in this thread have acknowledged, the ignoreFiltersWithEmptyValues parameter in your given logical expression does not work well with your use case. However, with a slight adjustment we can actually get value out of it while still allowing for your null filter!

Basically, you still keep your original query on your given search input, but you add another filter that only applies when your input is null. This covers your null case and your non-null case.

It would look something like this:

a!localVariables(
      local!mySearchString: ri!input_string,
      a!queryEntity(
        entity: cons!My_Data_Entity,
        query: a!query(
          logicalExpression: a!queryLogicalExpression(
            filters: {
              a!queryFilter(
                field: "myField",
                operator: "is null",
                value: "",
                applyWhen: a!isNullOrEmpty(value: local!mySearchString)
              ),
              a!queryFilter(
                operator: "=",
                value: local!mySearchString
              )
            },
            ignoreFiltersWithEmptyValues: true
          )
        )
      )
    )

To your original point, the only reason this solution works is because of the ignoreFilters value, not despite it. The purpose of that condition is to avoid making us have to wrap each of our filters in an if statement (or something equivalent), which actually makes it quite useful!

If you have any questions about this please let me know, I'm more than happy to provide more explanation Slight smile

in reply to Nicole Walter

I see, thanks for your response. I do have a question though. Why is this more beneficial than wrapping the two filters in an if statement? Seems about the same functionally as far as I can tell, and it isn't particularly shorter/easier to write out. So what makes this the better option between the two? 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Marco

So I'm assuming you mean something like this:

a!localVariables(
      a!queryEntity(
              if(
                a!isNullOrEmpty(value: local!mySearchString),
                a!queryFilter(
                  value: ""
                ),
                a!queryFilter(
                )
              )
            },
            ignoreFiltersWithEmptyValues: false
          )
        )
      )
    )

Personally, I'd argue it looks cleaner to just use the applyWhen/ignoreFiltersWhenEmpty arguments than it is adding an if statement to the query, but functionally they should be equivalent. You could probably get away with doing either, honestly.

It might be weird if you have additional filters on top of this, because you'd have a list of filters as the value for the filters argument in your logical expression, but then one of the values would actually be your if statement. In that case I think it would definitely be cleaner to do it my way instead of using an if statement. That being said, in the code above (where we only have this filter), I think its fair to say it can go either way.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Marco

So I'm assuming you mean something like this:

a!localVariables(
      a!queryEntity(
              if(
                a!isNullOrEmpty(value: local!mySearchString),
                a!queryFilter(
                  value: ""
                ),
                a!queryFilter(
                )
              )
            },
            ignoreFiltersWithEmptyValues: false
          )
        )
      )
    )

Personally, I'd argue it looks cleaner to just use the applyWhen/ignoreFiltersWhenEmpty arguments than it is adding an if statement to the query, but functionally they should be equivalent. You could probably get away with doing either, honestly.

It might be weird if you have additional filters on top of this, because you'd have a list of filters as the value for the filters argument in your logical expression, but then one of the values would actually be your if statement. In that case I think it would definitely be cleaner to do it my way instead of using an if statement. That being said, in the code above (where we only have this filter), I think its fair to say it can go either way.

Children
    Certified Lead Developer

Those of us who've been around for a few years now will remember that in the older days, the only option was wrapping optional query conditions in if() statements - there was no applyWhen and there was no "ignore empty" switch.  It worked, but it added a lot of extra cumbersomeness and made for some awkward situations (and led more junior devs into error-traps sometimes).

I believe both options were implemented and made available fairly close to each other time-wise (to the best of my fuzzy recollection), and though they're slightly logically redundant with each other, they both solve different use cases and add necessary flexibility.

Yes, that is pretty much what I did.. And it works fine. I just wish I could have just put true on that ignore parameter and have the one filter actually search for nulls, instead of the 2 filter workaround. But it is what it is. Thank you very much for the response!