Having problems with usernames. This really comes down to data source

Having problems with usernames.

This really comes down to data sources that are inconsistent in the upper/lower case of the usernames, say the Appian people tab definition of the user has the username "Username" but the data source we are getting a name from tells us it is "username".

We are trying to post a feed, or post to a feed, with the viewer/author using the "username" version. we get the error:
There is a problem with task “Post Closed Loan Feed” in the process “......”.
One or more users and/or groups specified for the Viewers input field does
not exist. Usernames: username. The system event was not sent.

the closest I can get to an easy simulation of the problem is using an expression rule:
working: user("Userame", "email")
failing: user("username", "email")
which we can not use as a test, as it does not return a null, or some other value, but totally fails:
Expression evaluation error at function 'us...

OriginalPostID-112110

OriginalPostID-112110

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I know this problem from syncing usernames from active directory. In the Windows universe "Joe" is the same as "joe". In Appian these are different users. So my advice to customers is to use lowercase only usernames in Appian. When there are comming usernames from other sources in mixed case you only have to lowercase them to match the Appian user account. Anything other is very prone to failures as "Joe" might also be "jOe" or "joE" ...
  • I know this problem from syncing usernames from active directory. In the Windows universe "Joe" is the same as "joe". In Appian these are different users. So my advice to customers is to use lowercase only usernames in Appian. When there are comming usernames from other sources in mixed case you only have to lowercase them to match the Appian user account. Anything other is very prone to failures as "Joe" might also be "jOe" or "joE" ...
Children
No Data