Advice to Appian/users on the teardown step in Cucumber for Appian

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a little advice with you, and hopefully, maybe Appian will also take note and resolve what an abysmal design decision is.

Problem Statement:
Appian has created the teardown method as a step that runs in the feature file. This is a terrible design. The reason it's a bad design is that the teardown method is what closes the browser and also kills the background Chrome/Firefox driver process. Since it's being invoked as a feature step, this means that if your test fails, the teardown step/method will not be reached. In addition, if you end a test early, it will not be called. The implication of this is that you end up with lots of browsers you have to close manually, and even worse, every time it happens, you have a driver process running in your PC/Mac background, and the more times you do it, the more they add up, eating away at your memory until you have to reboot your PC/Mac. I will show a screenshot of the step I am referring to. 

Solution:
Appian needs to include the teardown method in the core framework automatically. The alternative, which I can't explain in further detail due to restrictions from my employer, is to directly access the fixture variable yourself and call the teardown method as a Junit @AfterClass method. For example, if you understand Junit and Java well enough, you can probably figure it out, but Appian needs to do something like this independently. 

Appian, there is no excuse for such a poor design practice and since you did nothing after I opened a ticket and told you exactly how to fix it hopefully this might draw more attention to something very easy to fix that has large ramifications for your customers. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible