Hi, is there a way to manage document versioning directly from a process v

Hi,
is there a way to manage document versioning directly from a process via automated tasks? (i.e. without using attended tasks).

For example, in a document approval process, I want to be able to set a "candidate" document (the document to be approved, stored in a document variable pv!toBeApproved) as the new version of another document, already existing in the knowledge center.
This should be made at the end of the approval process, and is not possible to use (as suggested in the documentation) an attended task with a File form component.

OriginalPostID-112736

OriginalPostID-112736

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Are you looking for two process variables to hold two different versions of the same document within a process instance? If so, no it's not possible.
    With regards to versioning, when you created the candidate document, then that version automatically becomes the latest version (or newer version). The end user always accesses the latest version of the document. Why would you want to upgrade the document version when no change has been made to it? It defeats the purpose of document versioning. If you want to manage the status of the document (such as generated for candidate, read and accepted by candidate etc) then you'd do it by a process variable that manages the status life-cycle.
  • The idea is to take from an external source (e.g. by performing a polling on a filesystem folder) a document (let's call it "myDoc_v2_candidate") that is candidate for being a new version of a document already existing in the knowledge center("myDoc_v1_approved").

myDoc_v2_candidate is in fact a modified version of myDoc_v1_approve. (that's the reason for the upgrade).

After passing few steps of approval, the candidate should be moved in the system as the new version of myDoc_v1_approved (myDoc_v1_approved).

Do you have any suggestion about how to achieve this behaviour?

I was thinking to implement it by loading the previous version of the document in another process variable, but, as you told me, it's not possible.
  • Hi andrear I have an approach it might help you.
    you can use the "word\\pdf doc from template" smart service for the template provide a sample template with no place holders, in the run time template you can use "myDoc_v2_candidate" pv. You can use the option overwrite an existing document and in the document to replace you can provide "myDoc_v1_approved" pv.
    This will work provided the document "myDoc_v2_candidate" does not have any new placeholder in it.