How to save variables from summary view to a process model

Hi! I have two records with different record actions in separated process models (create purchase order vs create invoice). In this case, I would like to be able to initiate the process of invoice creation based on the purchase order data (id, supplier, and other data passed automatically to the create invoice interface)

My trouble here is that I need to do this from the summary view for each purchase order ID (until now I had a different action in each record view).  I was thinking about creating a button in the summary view, but I don´t know how to pass the variables in a correct way or the best practice here. Which options do you recommend? Creating a button and link it to the proccess model to create the invoice? Create a related action?

My process steps would be something like this:

1) User clicks in the summary view of the purchase order

2) In the summary view, there should appear a button to make an invoice with the PO data

3) The data collected should flow to the user input task to create a new invoice. Until now, I was filling the interface text fields manually

My process model to create the invoice starts with the "Create New Invoice" interface, so I´m not sure about how to connect the data in this case:

Any help would be useful. Thanks a lot!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

If you'd like the user to be able to click something and flow directly to a subsequent task (similar to how a Related Action works), but for arbitrary data, then you might like to use a!startProcessLink() in your grid in your top screenshot.  Note that this would cause the user to leave the summary view for all intents and purposes and see something else until they complete the process chain, then after that they'd be returned to where they started (plus or minus any changes effected by reloading of that interface after any changes have been saved).

Another technique I've used in cases like this, geared more towards wanting a user to initiate background processes for items in a grid, is a!startProcess(), which launches an asynchronous process instance without interrupting the user's current view.  This approach would be more useful for when you want some processing to happen in the background and/or a task to be assigned (either to the acting user or to an unrelated user/group).

The above two options each have their own pros / cons, but you'll need to decide on one approach and gear your overall solution to use it (of course before you decide it's easy to *try* both).

Certified Lead Developer

If you'd like the user to be able to click something and flow directly to a subsequent task (similar to how a Related Action works), but for arbitrary data, then you might like to use a!startProcessLink() in your grid in your top screenshot.  Note that this would cause the user to leave the summary view for all intents and purposes and see something else until they complete the process chain, then after that they'd be returned to where they started (plus or minus any changes effected by reloading of that interface after any changes have been saved).

Another technique I've used in cases like this, geared more towards wanting a user to initiate background processes for items in a grid, is a!startProcess(), which launches an asynchronous process instance without interrupting the user's current view.  This approach would be more useful for when you want some processing to happen in the background and/or a task to be assigned (either to the acting user or to an unrelated user/group).

The above two options each have their own pros / cons, but you'll need to decide on one approach and gear your overall solution to use it (of course before you decide it's easy to *try* both).

Children
No Data